You made it! The holiday shopping season is coming to a close and you can finally catch your breath. But don't kick up your feet just yet—there are a few more things to put back in order before you can fully relax and begin to reflect on the successes of your year. Here are a few to-do's from our post-holiday retailer checklist, then download the full printable version!
Download your free printable Post-Holiday Retailer Checklist!
'Tis the time to evaluate your year-end on-hand inventory and look ahead to what you have on order to meet next year's sales plan.
- Clean up, both literally and figuratively, your store by performing a Physical Inventory. This on-demand webinar covers best practices for physical counts, count-related reports you should be running in your POS, and how Springboard Retail users can use the platform to perform both full & partial counts, and build reports that will help analyze performance and give you a high-level view of the results.
- Look at the inventory you still have on hand across all of your channels—both different stores and warehouses as such applies to your business—and make necessary transfers.
- Evaluate what you have on order and make adjustments based on your Q4 performance.
Pack up the tinsel and take down the holly! Aside from the obvious need to redecorate in the new year, remerchandising can be highly effective in giving new life to collections of products, which may prevent you from having to rely on deep discounting. Here are some helpful sources as you craft your plan:
- How to Use POS Data for Merchandising
- January Merchandising Inspiration
- How to Unclutter Your Retail Store
- Taking the Mystery Out of a Well-Designed Store
- Did you advertise extended shopping hours? Switch 'em back: Your storefront, social media accounts, Yelp and Google listings, Chamber of Commerce, and voicemail.
- Once you've passed the last day for returns and exchanges per your holiday return policy signage, be sure to switch it out for your standard one.
- Ensure any seasonal staff members are deactivated after the final pay period.
Download the full printable checklist!
Topics: Retail Tips & Techniques